11.16.2012

Perfecting Personal Style


CAMPING FOR MARGIELA



Let the record show that I have never waited in line overnight for anything, ever in my life. Not concert tickets, not Apple products, not even a previous H&M collection. However, when the looks from the most recent collaboration with Maison Martin Margiela started popping up on the internet, I knew this would be an exception. It was time to camp for fashion.

I announced my intentions first to my coworkers, who offered support and advice (one was 2nd in line for the Lanvin H&M launch a few years ago). Then, I told my husband. His eyes widened at the thought of me sleeping on Michigan Avenue alone. I reassured him that I wouldn't be alone, but with my new fashion camping friends! Still, in his supportive and caring way, he said he would join me so I was safe...and to get a few mens items too.

This was our experience. 

Wednesday, November 14, 11:04pm:
Arrive at H&M. We are 11th and 12th in line. Line is half men half women, which is shocking. It's cold. One guy is wearing jeans and a leather coat only. We are wearing a zillion layers each. Also, it's cold.


The line ahead of us at 11:04pm

Thursday, November 15, 12:00am:
1 hour down, 8 more to go. I mean, it's like half our honeymoon flight to Hong Kong. Wishing my gloves were less bulky it's hard to do...anything. One more person has joined the line and is ill prepared for the elements.



This about sums it up.

Thursday, November 15, 1:00am:
4 more people have arrived now. I've been reading the Kate Moss piece in Vanity Fair on and off for the last hour. It's really long.

So many awkward topless photos

Thursday, November 15, 2:00am:
3 hours down. Doesn't seem like that long, but 6 more hours does! The folks next to us have not stopped talking for a second. Good for them. It's 34 degrees outside...



Thursday, November 15, 3:00am:
Making friends now. I joined the talky group. We're likely annoying the entire line. Witnessed a business traveler befriend another random guy on the street and together they quested to find a McDonald's. #friendships



No shit.
Thursday, November 15, 4:00am:
4am and the most exciting thing I learned is that Einsteins opens at 5 am. #coffee #zombieeyes #bathrooms A lady from H&M gave us all the details on shopping, so we are more ready than ever. Whilst reading Paper Magazine, I run across an article about the Margiela launch. Rather than excitement, I felt annoyance as the hours grow longer and colder. 4 more hours...

Article in Paper
My reaction to article at 4am

Thursday, November 15, 6:00am:
It's 6am and I'm so ready to get this thing going! Starbucks came by with free coffee and food which was amazing.  They are our heros right now! Final countdown...


Heros!
Sun is coming up...

GO TIME:

Wristbands were passed out at 7:30am and we were in the first 30 people to get to shop! That was our whole goal. Doors opened at 8am and we got into the collection area at 8:05. When we walked in, tons of H&M staffers were wearing Margiela aprons and shouting and clapping along to a live DJ. So exciting! 




Andrew and I both got the items we wanted in the 15 minutes allotted. I guess our lack of sleep and comfort was worth it! Will I/we be doing this again anytime soon? Heeeelllll no. Hell to the no.

Here's a sneak peak at the most triumphant piece I purchased....more later!





1 comment:

  1. Holy cow, this is insane. Some might even say YOU are insane, but I wouldn't go that far. :) It reminds me of how I felt going to the presidential inauguration at 4 am 4 years ago . . . cold, tired of waiting, etc. And I gave up and went home before it started!. I don't think I would have lasted all night for fashion like you did. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete